Sunday, June 21, 2026

“The Longest Day, the Warmest Hearts: Celebrating Fathers Beneath the Summer Sun”

I'm just going to make a short, “let's remember the basics of today” kind of post.

Today is Father's Day. 
This is one holiday I never had any reason to celebrate.
I've never had a father.
Well, I mean, everyone starts out with a father, although my mom always swore she got me from a stamp from Vietnam.
He just didn't stick around long enough for me to even remember him.

I always tried to be sure we celebrated Cowboy, although this year all he got was a sticker on Facebook Messenger.
Eh, I still remembered him.

Raven said he was working today.
I can’t confirm or deny that.
We've not seen him since he moved in with the other parent.
That's almost three months ago.
At least I'm fairly sure he's not been back.

Heron did have to work.
He said the man who was supposed to work today had kids, so he offered to take his shift so he could spend time with them.
Then after he got off of work, he headed up to his girlfriend's house.

Badger stayed outside all day.
She was totally wrapped up in a project.
Since she lives here, I'm not sure if we should include her in the whole “let's go see Dad” deal.

Peacock stopped by and stayed until almost 4 PM.
He didn’t have our Moon with him though.
Her mom has a set return time she sticks to.

He cooked dinner for Cowboy, steak, baked potatoes, and broccoli.
Badger and I found our own dinner. 
We’re not really into eating steak.

We mostly stayed home today.
Cowboy went to his morning and evening church services, but the rest of the day was pretty low-key.

I'm going to end this and head back outside to sit on the swing.
Badger is hand-carving a decorative yard sign.

Oh, how could I forget?
Happy first day of summer!
This year is just flying by.

So I’ll sit outside, watch Badger work on her sign, and enjoy the start of summer.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Father's Day was just another day here. My son texted Mark. We haven't seen him since December. Having a steak dinner was a highlight for Cowboy I'm sure.

Jane said...

Sandra: I'm glad Mark at least heard from your son. It's hard when it's been so long since you've been able to see him.

The steak dinner definitely made Husband happy. A good steak is one meal he'll never turn down!