Wednesday, April 22, 2026

What in carnation is going on here?

Today was Badger's appointment.
Usually she goes every Monday, but she had a doctor’s appointment this Monday.
She had to go at a later time today, which worked out better for Cowboy.

She was up before me this morning. 
She woke me up when she took down the baby gate and shut my door.
Since I was awake, I just went on and got up.

She pre-cooked meat for today's dinner, ate breakfast, then took Duffy out to potty.

Once she brought him in, she and I went out and got Mama and Baby Flamingo back in the ground.
She had to paint Mama's feet quickly.

The stakes were too deep in the ground to get them out, so she only took the body off to paint it.
She was putting the body back on, and I saw how badly rusted the legs were.
So I told her to just paint them in the ground and hope it keeps the rust off for a while.

They turned out really nice.
They started off pale baby pink and now they’re a loud electric pink.

By the time she finished outside, Heron had already come in, showered, and gone to work.
Badger finally got her shower.
Having several people use one bathroom is a pain in the rear end.
We’ve made it work all these years, but it's aggravating as heck.

She and Cowboy finally headed to Jefferson City, and it was just me and the critters.

I had the most exciting time.
That’s sarcasm, by the way.

Badger is good at keeping the house clean for me, but she doesn't do bathrooms.
Well, she'll scrub the sink and bathtub but she avoids the toilet.
I scrubbed the living daylights out of the toilet and succeeded in flooding the bathroom.

How else do you rinse the toilet?
You splash water on it.
Well, that's how I do it anyway.

The floors needed to be mopped as it was, so it sort of worked out.
I had to turn the space heater on high to get the floors really dry.

Cowboy and Badger got home at 12:30 p.m.
I spent most of my alone time stuck in the bathroom.

The day moved on as usual.
Eventually Cowboy headed to work.

Badger went out and gave the flamingos eyes.
I told her they looked like googly eyes.
I think I hurt her feelings, but I told her no, that was a compliment.
They don't look painted on, they look like those paste-on googly eyes you buy.

Then she put film up in the laundry room.
We're so close to our neighbor we could almost reach out and shake his hand.
Our laundry room window sits in a straight line with his windows, probably his bedroom and bathroom, so we each end up seeing more than we ought to.
You can't keep blinds, not with cats.
We've had curtains up, but again, cats.
They're destroying little beasts.
So Badger put up stained-glass window film.

We tested it in daylight, at night, lights on, lights off, and you can't see through it.
It's not a professional job, some of it doesn't line up right, but Badger did a pretty good job at getting it up.
When the sun shines, it leaves a rainbow in my floor.

Then she put some on one of my bedroom windows.
I already had privacy film on it, in white.
Badger said it looked like the medical tent from the movie “E.T.”
It was depressing.
Well, alright.
I will say that while you couldn't see clearly at night, you could see shapes through it.
And the window she put the film on looks out onto Van Gogh's deck.
We tested it, and if I choose, I can dance naked and no one would be the wiser.
Before you'd have seen a little more than I'd been comfortable with.
This also helps because Cowboy likes the curtains kept open, and he gets that extra bit of privacy.

We had to order another roll for the other laundry room window.
It’s not that important since it just faces the backyard.

A few years back, Cowboy added privacy tinting to all the windows except for the laundry room and Badger and Raven's room.
We got tired of the blinds and curtains being destroyed, and no one likes the idea of someone peeping in their windows.

We didn’t get fancy tint, we just got regular dark car tinting.
Well, my bedroom was the guinea pig.
Cowboy tried a white tint in there first, but it let in too much light.
So he switched over to a darker tint in the living room instead.

Then we settled in to watch TV. We spent most of the evening watching TV.

Well, we took a short walk to the Senior Citizen Center and back.

Then it was back to the TV.

Heron came home from work, mowed the yard, then started work in the she-shed flower bed.
I'm sure he would have liked some help, but Badger and I aren't any good with digging holes and planting.
He's the one with all the plans in his head.
He worked until it got so dark he couldn't see, and had to quit.
He took all of my black metal fencing down and put up a split rail fence.
He plans on planting honeysuckle and letting it twine around the fencing.
He hopes to attract hummingbirds.
It looks good.
I'm not sure how happy Cowboy is going to be, though.

Tomorrow is town day. 
With just the three of us here, we could go every two weeks and be fine.
But Cowboy’s set in his ways, and once he gets used to doing something a certain way, that’s how he keeps doing it.

It'll be an early morning again, then Friday will be another early morning.

Of course, when isn't it an early morning?

Heron has headed back to his RV, and Badger is heading to bed, so I guess I'll be heading to bed too.





No comments: