Monday, June 01, 2026

“I feel like I bother people just by being alive.” — Unknown

Well, we had a not-quite-boring start to June.
I'll get to that eventually.
I'm long-winded and like to try to say things in chronological order.

Badger and I had our doctor appointments. Badger didn't say how hers went, and her doctor didn't put any notes from the visit.

I had two spots frozen off.
They're still a bit achy and haven't fallen off yet.

My blood pressure was up.
I did a bit of Googling and found out that having kielbasa for supper and dinner right before a doctor appointment probably wasn't the best idea.
I've never worried about blood pressure.
I've always had very low blood pressure.
Of course, it wasn’t high; it was just higher than I’ve ever had in my adult life.
For example, last year it was 110/72, and today it was 132/74.

We’ve both gotten our test results back, and everything looks good.

Yay for turkey, I guess.
My cholesterol is down.
It's still high but lower than last year.

I go back in a year, and I’ll be seeing a new doctor then.

We stopped at the Powell Walmart.
They have things that you can't find at our local Walmart.
I don’t really get why every Walmart doesn’t carry the same stuff, but they just don’t.

We made it home at 12 p.m.
Badger tossed dinner in the oven.
We just picked up a pan of frozen enchiladas.

Cowboy went out to feed his chickens and was asleep before 2 p.m.

Badger and I were in the bedroom watching TV when Heron got home from his girlfriend’s. He stuck his head in the doorway and said, “Did y’all know there’s a kid lying in the road?” We told him no because we’d been out back earlier, not out front, and we hadn’t left the house since.

Heron said he helped the kid get over to the side of the road and out of the middle of it. It seems he had taken a spill off his electric scooter. Heron figured he was a little banged up, but nothing too serious. He came inside, made himself a cup of coffee, and then headed back out to check on him.

A few minutes later, Heron burst back into the bedroom and said, “You need to call 911. That kid fell off his electric scooter and he’s hurt bad.”

I grabbed my phone and headed up the road with Badger and Heron to see how bad the kid really was. He looked in bad shape, groaning with blood on the back of his head, road rash along his arm, and barely able to speak above a soft, shaky whisper.

I dialed 911 and handed the phone to Heron.
He told the dispatcher that he and the kid had already tried calling the kid’s father again and again, but he just wouldn’t answer.

The dispatcher wanted to do a video assessment, so Heron held the phone up to the kid’s injuries.

The dispatcher started to say something about touching him or moving him, but we told her we’d stay with him. We just weren’t going to try to move him or put our hands on him. We didn’t know this kid at all and didn’t want any trouble with his family.

She said she’d already notified the police and the ambulance, and they were on the way.

It took a little over fifteen minutes. The police arrived first, did a quick assessment, and finally reached his father, who was in Knoxville. Depending on which part of Knoxville he was in, that’s easily forty minutes away. The officer got the kid’s name, though none of us (Heron, Badger, or me) could make out what he said. He also got his age, which was eleven.

The ambulance arrived soon after, checked him over, and put him in the ambulance.
As we were moving his electric scooter out of the road, a car roared up and a young girl jumped out, panicked, saying, “That’s my brother, that’s my brother.”

We couldn’t do anything else, so we just came on back home.

I hope the kid’s alright, but we’ll never know. I keep wondering if his dad’s going to get in trouble. The kid didn’t have a helmet on, and his dad couldn’t be reached at all.

Luckily, the rest of the day settled down and was uneventful.
We ate dinner, and we saw Cowboy off to work. We watched TV, and a really good rain shower came through.

We took a little walk down to the library once the shower was over. We didn’t see our ducks, but Badger had a field day with all the groundhogs she spotted.
We’ve started naming them. The ones at the strawberry quilt barn are named Ethel and Lucy. The Junkyard Guy’s shed groundhogs are Peg and Al. Do we know their sex? Heck no, but they come in pairs, so they get named as pairs. Of course, they could possibly be George and Fred or Ginger and Gracie.

We walked home in a light rain shower. But we don’t melt.

Then it was back to watching TV.

Tomorrow we’ll have to head to Jefferson City to pick up Badger’s medicine.
I don’t know what’s going on, but there’s always some kind of shortage every time we go to get a refill.
 We ended up having to wait on one of her prescriptions, and it was one I’d never imagine them running out of.
Thankfully it showed up right as she was taking her last dose.

It’s late, my mind’s finally calming down, and I think everything from today is only now starting to hit me.

Lately it feels like I’m in that part of life where nothing I do comes out right.
I remember, and boy am I ashamed of it, how we treated BB and GG.
We were often too impatient and too snappy with them, all because they were old.
Karma. 
She's a witch, or payback is hell.
I'm now GG and BB, now I’m the one in their place, and let me tell you, it doesn’t feel great.

More often than not these days, I feel like just pulling back into a shell and not having anything to do with anybody.
Stop talking, stop… well, stop everything.

Badger’s heading to bed early, and Heron went back to his girlfriend’s house, so I guess I’ll be heading to bed too.
I can watch TV in my own room.



No comments: