Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Power outages are like being grounded by God. You can’t do anything fun - Jimmy Kimmel

If you think yesterday's entry wasn't complete, you're right.
We had a storm come in around 8:30 p.m. last night, and it knocked out the power.
We were without power until after 11 p.m.

This black square is my bedroom door.
I took the picture to show the boys.
It was so black, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, so Badger and I did what any rational person would: we made sure the doors were locked up, the beasts were in their night crates, and we went into my bedroom, shut the door, and curled up in bed.

Luckily, we had our tablets and our phones, with enough battery power to last a while.

Without air conditioning or fans, it did get terribly hot and stuffy, though.
At 9 p.m. it was 80° outside, so inside, with the doors and windows shut, it had to be just as hot.

I fell asleep before the power came back on.
Badger woke me up, turning our fans on.
I sleepily reminded her to turn the air conditioning back on, too.
Then I fell back asleep.

There doesn't seem to be any storm damage around me.
I haven't been out today, though.

Cowboy said that they were cutting down this big old tree out by my father-in-law's house.
That tree has been leaning for years now.
We've all been holding our breaths waiting for it to crash.
I don't know whether it got hit by lightning, whether all that rain uprooted it more, or maybe they just finally got scared enough to cut it.

If it had fallen across the road, it could have taken out the neighbor across the street, plus the power lines, telephone lines, and cable lines.
This was a big old tree, and I do mean old.

This was another one of those slow days around here.
Cowboy and Badger didn't wake up until after 11 a.m.
With them waking up that late, it does make the day fly by.
Cowboy leaves for work at 2:30 p.m., so waking up late doesn't leave much time in his day.

Heron came by.
He plowed the garden down.
It seemed as if Cowboy just lost interest in it.
He did plant a few things.
We got some green beans, okra, and a few tomatoes, but he didn't seem too interested in weeding it and keeping it up.

I think that worries me more than the other symptoms that have been showing up lately.
He loves his garden.

Another new thing has come up.
It could be a side effect of that new medication.
Or it could be something serious.

It worried him enough that he told me to call the doctor.
He hates the doctor.
Apparently, it was serious enough for his doctor to set up an appointment for him tomorrow morning.
That's highly unusual.
We usually wait for a month.

Tomorrow will be an early start to the day.
I can't go in with him because of the super strict COVID-19 rules, but I provide moral support from the car.
And if he needs any forms to sign, he brings them to the car for me to fill out.
He's not illiterate; he just has difficulty reading.

The mammogram place called and rescheduled my appointment.
This is the third time it's been rescheduled.
If they reschedule next month, I'll either ask for another doctor or ask if they can give me a reference to another place.
I don't think it's something that should keep getting put off.
For once, it's not me procrastinating.

Cousin posted on Facebook that one of Mom's sisters had a health scare over the weekend.
Thankfully, she's already back home and doing well.

Aunt has always been a tough old bird.

News like that has a way of reminding me how quickly the years have gone by.
Sometimes I don't realize how much time has passed until something like this happens.

Badger has been keeping to herself lately.
Maybe she's just bored.
It's just not where I imagined she'd be at this stage.

She stayed in her room all day.
I barely got her outside to help feed the strays.
She did pop out of her hobbit hole to cook me and her supper, and I appreciated that.

I had the house pretty much to myself, so I mostly sat around and watched TV.
I did get outside, not a lot, but I did get outside.
I try to soak in that sun while it's still warm out.

Another quiet day in our little corner of the world.

No comments: