Saturday, June 20, 2026

“Running on empty, but still going.”

My sleep just isn’t good right now.
I think they say it’s hormones, or maybe not enough hormones.
And then there’s Heron and Cowboy getting home from work at all kinds of odd hours.
They don’t mean to, but they still manage to wake me up.

It was close to 1 am when Heron got home tonight and took his dog down to the RV.
I climbed out of bed after he left and turned all the lights off and covered Badger up.
She was still asleep on the couch where she’d dozed off before I went to bed, without a pillow or blanket.
I didn’t mess with a pillow, but I did cover her with two of the throw blankets we keep in the living room.

Then I tried to get back to sleep.
Cowboy woke me up when he opened the front door at 5:20 a.m., but he didn’t come to bed until 5:30 a.m.
I drifted back to sleep until 7, then finally gave up and got up for the day.

Getting your sleep broken up like that can’t be good for you.
Of course, Cowboy and Heron aren’t sleeping any better, I don’t guess.

Like most mornings, I went outside and put out peanuts for whatever eats them.
I’ve never seen anything actually eat them, so I don’t know what I’m leaving them for.
I started out trying to lure a chipmunk, but now I guess it’s mostly birds taking them away.
I put out some food for Imp and headed back in the house.
Badger was awake by then.
She and I headed down to the creek church at 8:30 am.
With Vacation Bible School going on, we’ve been sticking close to home all week.
Badger may not like early morning walks, but I enjoy being out when the day’s just waking up.
Most mornings the whole town’s ours, no cars moving, no people around, and even the dogs still sleeping.

It was already getting hot by the time we got home at 10:30 am.
The air conditioning felt good.
We’re moving into the part of summer that’s always hotter for us, July and August.

Cowboy didn’t get up until close to noon.
He ate his breakfast, then Badger messaged him that she wanted to go to the shoe store.
So we ended up hitting the road today.

The first shoe store in Jefferson City had the style she wanted, just not her size.
Badger likes wearing men's shoes and clothing, she says they feel more comfortable.
It’s hard to find men’s shoes that run small enough for her, though.

So we ended up at the Morristown Mall, checking out the shoe store there.
Luckily they had her size, and she ended up finding two pairs she liked.
She’s over wearing Crocs, they wear out too quickly, and the soles just don’t hold up.

Cowboy curled up in the car and slept while we were in the store.
People around here jump right to the worst.
I worry someone will call the police or think he’s overdosed when he’s just sleeping in the car.
He just doesn’t feel like standing around in a store waiting for us.

We made a super quick trip through Five Below but didn't find anything and then we headed back home.

We made it home, came in, all three of us fixed our own quick dinners. 
We ate and then went our separate ways.
Badger and I headed to my room to watch television, and Cowboy headed outside.

After we’d rested a while, Badger and I tried to go out for a short walk.
It was just too doggone hot outside.
We came in, grabbed the dogs to take them for a potty break.
I plopped myself out in my swing while Badger walked the dogs around a little.
Then we came back inside. 
Badger headed to her room while I played on the computer.

It’s after 10 pm. Cowboy still hasn’t come in, but I’m going on to bed.
It’s been a long day for me, and I’m ready to call it a night.



No comments: