Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Summer nights, wild sights

I woke up at 4:30 a.m. Cowboy wasn't in bed, so I went in the kitchen to see if he was having his snack.
Nope, no Cowboy, so I went on back to bed.

I woke up again at 6:30 a.m. and there still wasn't a Cowboy.
Huh, that's a bit concerning.
So I headed on to the front room.
There wasn't any need to stay in bed.
I knew I wasn't going to go back to sleep.

I poked my head out the door.
No truck in the driveway, so I figured Cowboy was just working over.
If he'd had an accident, I'm fairly sure the police would have shown up.

Because Heron was still at his girlfriend's house, I didn't have to sit in a dark living room this morning.
I could play on the computer with lights on.
Although I have to say, the new computer has so many doggone lights connected to it, sitting in the dark is no longer a problem.
My desk seriously looks like I'm at a rave.

I have security cameras up outside, all around the house.
I try to go through the videos every morning, unless I get an alert at night.
I have quite the nightlife out there.
The exterminator didn't kill off my spider population, although he gave it a good try.
They keep crawling all over the cameras, which is gross if you've never seen a spider in night vision.
I have a lot of raccoons, and I mean a lot.
They're the fattest bunch of raccoons I've ever seen.
Of course they get well fed around here.
I rarely see a possum.
I wonder if the raccoons chase them off.
Besides my Imp and the neighbor’s King George, I've got at least three stray cats that roam around.
I've only caught a deer on camera once.
I enjoy watching my dead of night visitors.

Other than spying on the wildlife as Badger says, I tried to find my blogging graphics. I use dividers and such. Of course I lost them all, but luckily I do have a private backup blog I can go to and get them off of it.

I had a productive morning, although it was spent mostly online.

Badger woke up at 7 a.m. She made herself breakfast and headed back to her room.

Cowboy finally dragged in at 7:30 a.m.
That was about an 11 ½ hour shift.
Needless to say, he headed straight to bed and we didn't see him again until 11:30 a.m.
He took his medicine, ate his breakfast, and went back to sleep in the recliner until 2:30 p.m.
I don't know about him, but that kind of sleeping would get to me.
You know full well he’s not really resting.

Heron made it back from his girlfriend's house, took a quick shower, and headed to work.
I forgot it was Tuesday, and he had to go in.

There's really not much else left to say.
It was mostly a TV watching, play on the computer day.
Badger spent it editing pictures.
She's really enjoying using my old monitor.
It's twice the size of my new monitor, and it makes editing pictures all that much better.
She can clearly see every whisker on the birds, yes, birds have whiskers.
I wouldn’t have let it go if we could’ve made it work.
We just couldn't get the darn thing to work on the new tower.
I guess I can look at it as the new monitor actually fits better on my desk, and it has a nifty red racing stripe on the back, and red’s my favorite color.
Being an old bird, I don't understand why gamers need all this bling and flash.

We got Cowboy off to work, watched a little more TV, and then we took a walk.
We've not been walking in ages.
We just went down to the library.
Cowboy leaves so late in the day now, and the days are already getting shorter.
We didn't want to get caught coming home in the dark, so we didn't try to go any farther.

There wasn't much for Badger to take a picture of.
Everything is just kind of tired and dead.
They've not mowed in a good long while.
The cows were kind of peering out of the tall grass, like lions in the jungle.
She didn't even try to take a picture of them.
Our little duck family has grown up and flown off.
The birds weren’t out.
So, not really a good picture‑taking walk.

The yappy dachshund house is up for sale.
No one stays in that house very long.
We came home and looked it up on the realtor’s website.
It was built in 1900 by a mayor of our town.
Holy cow, you know it's old.
We've not had a mayor here since probably the 1930s.
If it was in a different location and if I had the money to heat the place, I'd love to have an old house like that.
It's classified as being a Folk Victorian.

If Cowboy gets home at a reasonable time, I want to go to the thrift store to see if I can find a table tomorrow.
I'm using an old wheeled microwave cart for the computer tower, and my chair wheel got caught in the cart wheel and moved the cart several inches.
That about made my heart skip a couple of beats.
I don't know what idiot decided a glass computer tower would be amazing, but they need to be tarred and feathered.
I agree, it's cool to see but not worth the risk of the thing breaking.
So, now I'm on the lookout for a solid table to set it on.

I think that's about it for today.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

It's a miserable country where a person has to wear themselves thin so the family can have insurance. I feel bad for Cowboy. A glass computer tower? That sounds unnecessarily risky. We are finally having tolerable weather. Thankfully.

Jane said...

Sandra: It really is crazy that we live in a country where working-class families can't afford private insurance and people have to work themselves to death just to keep company insurance.

I wish things were different, and I wish my husband didn't have to work so hard.

The tower is made of tempered glass like car windows and is supposed to be perfectly safe. But with cats, dogs, and kids in my house, I hold my breath every time I go near it. It kind of gives me the willies no matter how safe they say it is.

I'm glad you're finally getting some tolerable weather. Let's hope it holds for you.

Hard to believe, but we're nearly to the cold months again.