Monday, August 31, 2026

The sun shines differently in August. A little softer. A little slower. Like it knows what’s coming.

Another month gone.
The end of August hits, and here come the Facebook memes about the brrr months starting.
September brings in the start of fall, and I’m not ready for it.
I'm not ready for the cold and the dark and sad days that are sure to follow.


Well, we can't stop time, can we?
It keeps moving right on whether we’re ready or not.

With my seasonal depression, I wish I could move to a warmer state, although I don't know if that would actually help or not.
It wouldn't help that October brings back sad memories that will stay with me no matter where I go.

Badger had therapy in Jefferson City today.
I had the house to myself for two hours.
Two hours alone gives you thinking time, which isn't always good in my case.

Badger brought home a pumpkin spice frozen coffee from Dunkin’ for me.
A nice goodbye to summer.
Yeah, I know we’re still about a month away from official fall.
But it’s practically September, and school is going on, and come on, it’s enough to call it fall.

Badger doesn't like pumpkin spice all that much.
She said Dunkin’ must have had a new employee.
The employee handed Badger the coffee so she could take a sip and check if the pumpkin flavor was missing.
Badger wasn’t thrilled about it, but there was no avoiding taking a sip.
Badger said she hoped the employee wouldn’t have tried it herself if Badger hadn’t been there.
It was slightly more bitter than usual, but I’m pretty sure the employee remembered the pumpkin.

Badger and I enjoyed a doughnut with our coffee, while Cowboy had a doughnut but passed on the coffee.
Then Cowboy disappeared outside, and Badger headed to Raven's room.

I don’t know how many coats of paint Badger ended up having to put on that door to stop it from being splotchy and to hide crayon.
Several.
She’s got it looking good for a little while, anyway.
I told her I don’t really like having a black bedroom door, especially in that tiny dark hallway.
But you do what you have to do, and I didn’t know of any other solution for hiding crayon and car grease.



While she was painting, she just painted her door.
It was clean, just boring, and white.
We had cranberry left over from painting the front door, so she slapped that up on it.
I’d call it fuchsia or hot pink with a purple hint.
She says it’s red.
She likes it, so I guess color really doesn’t matter.
Her room is yellow and blue, though.




Now comes the boring cleaning‑up part ’cause the hallway is a mess.

I did some laundry, and some computer playing, and some TV watching, and burned dinner.
There’s a reason that Badger cooks all the time now.
Eh, it was edible still, just a bit crunchier than taco meat should be.

And the day moved on, and eventually Cowboy headed to work.

Badger was mostly in the hall between rooms, painting.
And I was in and out of the living room.
Occasionally, I'd go check on Badger.
She wouldn’t let me do anything, but I offered moral support and pointed out missing spots.

Heron came back from his girlfriend’s house and went out and mowed down the garden. That’s another sign of fall coming. The corn is still up, but everything else is gone.

Tomorrow I’ll have to clear all my solar gee-gaws from the she-shed flower bed. Heron is going to mow down all the flowers in there. I say flowers, but between his back, his work, and his going to his girlfriend’s, he didn’t take care of the flower bed this year. He knows me and Badger don’t know anything about flowers and don’t want to keep up a large flower bed. So it’s mostly tall weeds with a few flowers peeping out. Seeing that they’ll all be in the she-shed, I just won’t put the gee-gaws back out. There’s really no need. With that, I think I’ll get off of here.
Badger is going to have to sleep on the couch tonight.
Her room just reeks of paint.
The whole house reeks, but it’s really strong in her room.

No comments: