Friday, September 04, 2026

“You think you only have to survive the empty nest once, until you have to say goodbye again.”

We had a better night.
Badger was a bit droopy but perked up enough to do a bit of room rearranging and cook dinner.
Now she's back to drooping and saying she doesn't feel good.


I have her scheduled to go to a walk-in clinic tomorrow.
The only problem is I made a huge screw up and scheduled at the wrong clinic.
I didn't even know this one existed, and I don't know how I did that.
I guess my dumb self just saw the red house and clicked.
Our usual one has a red arrow.
Arrow and house are basically the same, right?

So we were on the way to the store at 11:30 a.m.
We had actually made it to where our town crosses over into New Market, that little new thrift store.
Y'all don't care for the logistics but I want it for my memory.
And up pops a message from Raven, I'm on the road with Vier coming down to your house.
What?!
Oh Cowboy was very unhappy.
He made a very scary U-turn and we sped back to the house.

The first thing we did was to hide Heron's gun.
Have y'all ever heard of a gun that has no safety?
I thought all guns had to have safeties, but this one sure doesn't.
So that got hid.
Then we had to make sure all of Heron's knives were found and put away.
Look, I don’t ask Heron why he always comes ready for battle.
Then we got all of Heron's prescription medication hidden.
Then we just threw two blankets over whatever Heron had on my futon.
I think that was mostly his clothes.

Then I went to Raven's room to start moving anything that didn’t belong to Raven into Badger’s room and mine.
Badger rushed in, said I was doing it all wrong, and told me to go sit down, so I went and sat down.
Her not feeling so great tonight may have been avoided had she let me help move some of that stuff.
Who the heck does she think moved and rearranged things all these years?
Not her daddy, that's for sure, and I did it without a lick of help.
But sure, OK, do it all yourself, whatever.

Raven pulled in just before 1 p.m.
We were ready for him.
He walks in the bedroom, shakes his head, and starts griping because we'd put everything in boxes, and he couldn't read Badger's handwriting.
OK fair point I can't read it either.
However, his grumpy rear end got an almost professional packing job.
Care was taken, and all he had to do was load his van.
If he'd wanted to do it himself the way he wanted it done, he shouldn't have left it in my house for six months.
Oh yeah, six months.
I left that room untouched, and he never made an effort to come down and clear it out.
He should be glad someone did the hard work for him and took care doing it.
The mean mom in me says I hope he enjoys the challenge of untaping and unwrapping bubble wrap.
Badger made darn sure everything was safe.

I still have quite a lot of his boxes here, but I think it's more manageable. His little van only held so much. His desk and bookshelves pretty much hogged all the room.

I asked if he was sure she'd let him keep staying. He said she'd better because he's paying everything. Yep, that gets me so freaking mad. As usual she's taking advantage of him. He's paying child support. He's buying their groceries, paying the utilities, and probably paying her mortgage. Every time his former spouse runs off on some trip or goes on a romantic date with her girlfriend, I’m betting he’s the one paying for it. But what can you do? He's an adult.

It’s ridiculous. She’s able to work, and her girlfriend sure looks able to work. But Raven gets taken advantage of because he’ll still do whatever she wants.

Just walk away, right? I try to leave it alone and stay out of it, but it still makes me so mad.

OK let's move it on. Raven drives me crazy. I love him, but he drives me up the wall. I just don’t get why he can’t see he’s being taken advantage of.

Vier is so big now. She’s using the potty and talking nonstop, but you can’t understand much of it yet. That's pretty normal with Raven's kids, though. I had the toys out and she played while Raven was moving stuff out.

I have that motion-activated light in the hall, and I kept hearing her go “light on light off” and feet thumping. I stepped out of the room. I was trying to help Raven figure out Badger’s handwriting, and Vier was running back and forth making the light go on and off, on and off. That was cute. The former partner is going to be mad. I sent her home with two bags of toys. I didn't see any need to keep them down here, she's already outgrown most of them. The boys have too. That gives me a little more space. They were gone before 2 p.m.

Badger started cooking supper, got that in the oven, went in, rearranged the boxes Raven left. Moved the blanket box back into Raven's room. She says it's light; I strongly disagree. She moved the mess out of my bedroom and started moving things from her closet into Raven's closet.

Well, It wasn’t long before she was back on my floor feeling bad again. She just overdoes herself.

Cowboy tells me I need to help her, but you can't help someone who gets loud and cranky and shoves you out of the way so they can do things their own way.

I have nothing else.

Cowboy got off to work, Badger and I watched a lot of TV.

She put together a Lego flamingo for me.
 I absolutely love flamingos.
Says I should get a small treat once in a while.



I'm getting off of here.

No comments: