Sunday, January 25, 2026

Finding comfort in the rhythm of the rain

It rained all day, even though the temperature finally got above freezing.
But it’s supposed to drop into the teens tonight, so who knows what the roads will look like in the morning.

Heron went to his girlfriend’s house, and he said he’ll be back tomorrow or maybe Tuesday. He made it just fine. The rain washed away whatever ice we had.

Cowboy made it to morning church service, but they cancelled evening church service.
It seems a bit odd, but maybe they were worried the temperature would drop quickly and we’d end up with a major ice event.
Who knows.

Raven got called into work at 8 p.m., but he said they’re hoping to finish early so everyone can get home before the weather gets bad.
Seems like they don’t have a real quitting time.
They stop when there’s no truck left to unload.

I had Cowboy take me up to the Dollar Store.
We bought aluminum foil at Target, and now it’s missing.
While we were fixing supper tonight, we noticed five cans of refried beans are gone too.
Cowboy won’t go near the kitchen, so it comes down to Heron or Raven, and both swear they didn’t touch the beans or the foil.
Badger and I looked all over the house, and the beans and foil just aren’t here.
That doesn’t mean we won’t walk in tomorrow and find them sitting in plain sight or shoved in the freezer.
Things like that happen here.
Since things like that tend to happen here, we’ve started keeping track of what’s in the cabinet and what gets used.

It was a stay inside kind of day. 
Badger didn’t leave her room, and Raven slept most of the day.
Cowboy napped, and I wound up taking a short nap too.
Mostly it was reading, watching TV, and playing on the computer.

Badger had therapy scheduled for tomorrow, but she went ahead and canceled since there’s a small chance of black ice.

I was supposed to go to the doctor on Tuesday, but I’m cancelling.
I’m sick of being on that interstate, and nighttime temperatures aren’t supposed to get out of the teens and twenties until well, my forecast goes up to February 9th, and it’s still saying teens and twenties then.
I’m not getting a half-blind, can’t-drive-worth-a-hoot Cowboy on the interstate and risking hitting some ice.
Nope.
No ma’am.

With that, I am heading to bed.
If I am being honest, this has been a difficult day for me.
I am beginning to understand the fear Anne Frank described.
America is starting to feel like the Third Reich all over again.

No comments: