I made a very brief effort to poke myself out of the blue funk today.
I woke up at 6:30 a.m. and cleaned the kitchen up.
I don't think anyone had touched it since Saturday.
Yeah, gross.
Also yeah, life happens, so do blue funks.
Then I did a little fall redesign on mine and Cowboy's Facebook pages.
I change our cover photo each season.
My kids will tell you AI is terrible, and AI's art is inferior to human art, but I'm fine with AI.
Let me tell you, AI can turn what’s in my mind’s eye into a picture, and I can’t do that on my own because I’m not an artist.
Cowboy always gets a very rustic Appalachian scene with a foxhound, fox, and hunter.
That's become his signature thanks to me.
Me?
It's whatever hits this weird brain of mine.
Today it's a fall scene in the mountains with a raccoon looking through an old broken-down fence with a possum eating a pumpkin.
Then Badger was up around 8 a.m.
She came into the living room, handed me my tennis shoes, and before I knew it, I was on the porch and heading out to take
a walk around our neighborhood.
We had a storm with rain come through sometime after midnight, and it really cooled things down.
The critters must have liked it too.
We saw a woodpecker, a deer, and actually more birds than we've seen in a while.
I got to say this.
There's a neighbor who used to run around with my father-in-law, so she's got to be well over 80 years old now.
Has to be.
Had he lived, my father-in-law would be 97 now.
She lives alone, has escaped from a nursing home twice now, so her son finally just lets her live at home.
She used to drive but I've not seen her on the roads in a while.
I swear she said she used to work construction, but don't take my word on that.
If she's out on her porch, she'll stop and talk to me.
I don't understand a word she says.
I think maybe it's possible she's had a stroke at one time.
She's definitely deaf, so she doesn't understand a word I say.
But eh, you know, we talk.
So this morning I get to the area where her house is, look on the porch, and she's sitting in her rocker.
Her head is on her shoulder, and her body is sort of slumped down in that rocker.
I tell Badger, “Oh no, Miss D. doesn't look like she's alive. I don't think I want to walk past her.”
I was already thinking, great, I'm going to have to be the one to call 911, because I'm the one who usually stops and talks to her,and it was too early in the morning for that.
Thank goodness I walk up to her gate, and she perks up, sits up and starts talking to me.
Look, if you're a certain age, watch how the heck you sleep.
Dang.
Then it was back home, back to the computer for me.
Badger straightened up the house a little, then we watched some TV.
I sent Kim a quick text.
She's for sure mad at something.
Who knows what I said wrong.
That's alright, as I said, we've never been close buddy buddies.
We went years without seeing or hearing from one another.
And the biggest thing, she's got a lot to deal with right now.
I'm leaving the ball in her court.
If she wants to text again, she can.
I'm not making the first move again.
I'm always here if she needs me though.
Then just before 11 a.m. Badger and I headed back out the door.
We walked down to the library in a very light rain.
After the heat we've had, that felt good.
I have a picture. Badger came home and got it uploaded for me.
So there's a bunch of abandoned buildings the way we walk.
There was once a florist shop here, and the building is still there.
Well, one of its windows has fallen out or someone took it out.
I look up and a groundhog looks back at me from inside the building.
I poke Badger and tell her to stop taking pictures of cows and get that darn groundhog!
From where we were standing, you couldn't tell the window was missing, so I thought maybe it had tunneled up through the floor or something.
It was really unusual to see a groundhog calmly sitting in a window.
Badger got almost up on the groundhog before it waddled off somewhere in the building.
I bet that whole place is just infested with groundhogs and probably skunks and stray cats.
It's a house with an addition added to the back to make the florist shop, and I presume you can get from one to the other.
I'll keep an eye on the house part and see if a groundhog pops up in its window.
When we got home Cowboy was awake and in his recliner.
He about had a cow when he found out how we take our walks.
“You shouldn't be in that graveyard.”
Good grief, he doesn't pay a lick of attention to any of us.
Badger has shared so many pictures of that graveyard.
We've been taking a shortcut through it since 1995.
My feet felt like shriveled prunes, my pants were soaked well above my ankles.
So, I went in my bedroom, got dry clothes on, and snuggled up in my bed the rest of the day.
I got rid of two streaming services and added a new one so I can watch my favorite show again.
I got caught up on that.
I don't know what anyone got into.
We're all adults here.
My roommates can do whatever they want.
I stayed in the bedroom until Cowboy went to work at 6:30 p.m.
Yeah, that's not really good for anyone, but truth be told, it sure felt good.
After he went to work, Badger and I moved to the living room.
She took the dogs and went outside for a while.
I tried to blog.
I still have a mess, code that may be malicious and bad that shouldn't be showing up in my Blogger posts.
But it's tedious, slow work, and I get bored super fast.
I know this code needs to be taken out, but it's a lot of work.
I have, well, I started blogging in 2002, and a lot of my posts are showing this code.
I don't know why.
I don't know where it came from.
It seems to be something Edge added to it because when I fix it on Firefox, it's fine.
I do the exact same thing on Edge and that weird code gets added back on.
Five or six years ago I'd have loved doing geeky work like this.
Not these days.
My vision isn't quite up to chasing down weird HTML code.
We took one last walk just up to the corner and home.
Today is the first day of fall.
The weather should be getting cool enough now that we can get back to walking again.
It's been so miserable.
I told Badger if she wanted to walk, she could, but I was staying in my air conditioner.
We ended the night watching TV.
Heron likes to cook late at night, and I mean late at night.
He's up here in my kitchen.
I don't know what he's cooking, but boy does it smell good!
He's got a gigantic old witch's cauldron.
Oh fine, he's got a huge stockpot of something bubbling on my stove.
Then he headed off to his RV and said he'll be back up at midnight to do something with it.
I'm heading to bed, as Badger says, “Dang, that smell is making me hungry.”







No comments:
Post a Comment