Thursday, October 01, 2026

Pumpkin spice and everything nice, it's October!

Hello October, and here come those dark, cold, gloomy months.

This was the first town day of a new month.

We stopped at the thrift store.
They advertised a solar squirrel lawn decoration.
Surprisingly, it was still there.
Usually you see something on their weekly deals page, go, and it's already gone.

The box said brand new, and it was from Cracker Barrel originally.
So I brought it home.
I let it charge in the sun and under a lamp, and my squirrel is dead as a doornail.

I can still use it as a pretty decoration, but I'm mad that it was advertised as new when it's clearly broken.
I didn't pay what it cost originally, but it wasn't one of those super-cheap deals either.

We got our hair cut.
I didn't need one, but Badger sure did, and she didn't want to go alone, so I told her I'd get mine cut too.

I don't know what is up with stylists being terrified of touching naturally curly hair.
Badger said she had to keep telling her stylist to cut a little more, cut a little more.
At one point the stylist told her, "If I cut it this short, it's going to poof up. You have curly hair."
I think Badger knows her hair is curly.
I also think Badger knows what her hair does.

Cowboy said we need to find an African-American salon that only does African-American hair, and I sure wish I could.
The only problem I could see with that is Badger's hair texture isn't that Melungeon texture.
Now Step-Daughter 1 had both the curls and the Melungeon hair texture.
Badger has her dad's curls, but my hair texture, if that makes sense.

We got our groceries and then had to stop at the bank.
Badger's last disability check came in, and we have to return it.
I don't know why, as we gave them plenty of notice that Badger would go under Cowboy's Social Security, but they chose to give her a check anyway.
So I had to get a cashier's check for that money, and tomorrow we have to drive up to the Social Security office and turn it in in person.

We got home and quickly put dinner on, which was basically just microwaved sides and rolls.
I tell you what I'm addicted to, and normally I hate bread.
Frozen Texas Roadhouse mini rolls with garlic parmesan spread.
They are addictive, and getting harder and harder to find.
Texas Roadhouse also has a cinnamon version, which is also good, but they're sweet.
The main course was a deli rotisserie chicken, and that's just going to have to be something we used to do.
Cowboy asked me, "What kind of bird is it, a quail?"
I told him we hadn't seen the parking lot gulls in a while.
It might be a parking lot gull.
They're so tiny now it's not worth the money it takes to buy them.
Time saving, yes.
Waste of money, also yes.
I used to have dinner, then the next day pluck it and have a casserole or tacos with it.
Not anymore.

After dinner, Cowboy settled in for his before-work nap, so Badger and I walked down to the creek church.
The bones are still on the table, and Badger didn't realize until after she took a picture that they have a security camera up in that area now.
Creek Church may be one more place we just can't walk to, and that leaves us with really nowhere to walk in this town now.

We didn't get to stay long.
Members of the church started coming in, so we had to leave.
We are guests on church property, and when the church wants to use its property, then we have to leave.

By the time we got home, I was just so exhausted.
Cowboy tells me, "Get that heart checked out."
Well, I did in 2019, and it was fine.
But I'm overweight, have hypothyroidism, and had two rounds of COVID.
Oh, and I'm a lot closer to being 60 than I am 50.
If it's hot like today, if I've been up since the crack of dawn like today, if I've run around a lot of stores, like today, if I just walked a mile, yeah, I'm going to be sweaty, red-faced, and huffing like a train going up a hill.

Something tells me that I've become just a piece of furniture no one has looked at in ages, that my housemates don't realize I'm not young anymore.
I'm not ancient, but I'm not a spring chicken either.
I'm getting senior discounts.
Thanks, Great Clips.
That should tell you something.

I'm typing this up, and frankly, I'm going to go lie down in my bed and watch TV in there.
My hip throbbed all day today.
Walking around stores and walking to the church and back home hasn't helped it any.

It's a rare evening in that Heron is off work and in my living room.
He's having a good chat with his girlfriend, so I don't feel like I need to be sociable.

Badger will follow me, and we'll finish up our TV show.

Tomorrow will be another long day as we have to go to Morristown to fight Social Security.
I hope that goes smoothly.

But for now, bed is calling.
I'm just exhausted and hurt all over.

No comments: