Thursday, July 30, 2026

Not what I expected today, but I am not mad about it

You wake up and think it's just another Thursday.

You go to town, get your groceries, just like you do every Thursday.

But when you get home, Heron is getting ready to go somewhere.

OK, that's not really unusual.

He's starting to feel better.

A few hours pass by, and he finally gets back home with goats.

We have goats in our yard again.

I've missed Chester all these years.

It's only temporary, though.

He'll take them to his girlfriend's homestead on Saturday.

But until then, they're behind an electric fence.

They're not tame pets like Chester was.

Oh yeah, a large portion of my backyard is now fenced in by an electric fence.

I hope my stray steers clear.

But if you go out and go "baaaa baaa," they'll scream back at you.

These gals are screamers.

I mean, they seriously scream.

They're a different breed than Chester was.

Heron moved the little brown goat first.

She's the friendliest and most nosy of the two.

He left me watching the white goat to be sure she didn't escape.

Up until that point, Whitey had been all calm, shy, and quiet.

Holy Cow!

As soon as she noticed her sister was missing, she started screaming.

Then Brownie started screaming from the backyard too.

Apparently, they can't be separated.

I forget the breed.

All I remember is that they're meat goats, but they're night and day from Chester.

I never heard him scream like a banshee.

It's been years since we owned Chester.

I foggily remember that he had normal ears.

These gals have gigantic floppy ears.

They're very vocal.

Oh, the neighbors are going to love us.

I can hear them very clearly over the TV from the front room.

They're in the backyard.

They may eventually be eaten, but Heron said they're mainly the start of a brush-clearing herd.

I'm enjoying having a goat in my backyard again, even if it's only for a short while.

I used to go out and have coffee with Chester.

And yes, Chester also had coffee with me in the mornings.



No comments: