Monday, July 13, 2026

One-of-a-kind treasures need a little elbow grease. 🛠️

We got Badger to her weekly appointment, and Cowboy and I sat in the car.
He gets an hour-long nap, and I scroll aimlessly through Facebook and Instagram.
Today I finally figured out how to get on Blogger, so I added reading blogs to my waiting-time to-do list.

After she got out, we headed to Walmart to pick up the phone card, then headed home.

Badger’s been looking for a stool that's not so high up off the ground.
We were heading down the road toward home.
I looked over at this thrift shop that's opened up close to our house.
Out front was a bar stool.
I yelled at Cowboy, “Stop! Turn around.”

He muttered a lot of grumpy words but found a spot where he could turn around.

The outside stool was in terrible condition, too broken to be worth fixing, and they still wanted $5 for it.
You'd have to have been a carpenter or darn handy fix-it man to repair the thing.
Badger was disappointed, and I don't think Cowboy was all that happy about making that U-turn for nothing.

Well, we were already there.
It’s been open for a while, and we keep saying we’ll check it out, so let’s finally go see it.

So, you have two areas of the shop.
The indoor porch, for lack of a better term, was crammed with old, dusty junk.
It was so packed you could barely walk around in it.

I was looking for a stool, and when you're focused on finding one, it's easy to overlook the mess around you.
I saw an old dusty saddle sitting on something, so being as curious as a cat, I went nosing.
Sure enough it was sitting on a stool, a stool the perfect height for Badger, and it looked in good shape.
I won't say it was in perfect shape.
After getting it home and Badger stripping several layers of paint off of it, I'd say it was from the 60s or 70s, but still sturdy.
And only $5.

Needless to say, I hollered at Badger to stop gawking at junk on the other side of the room and come get this darn stool.
She stomped over, muttering under her breath, but hushed up once she saw the stool.
After moving the saddle off of it, and giving it a good look over, she grabbed it up, and we headed inside.

The shop’s interior was packed with vintage glassware and pricey antiques, the kind of place where you don't want to bump into anything.

Cowboy had taken one look and stepped back outside.
I wasn't about to carry a stool around breakables.
I told Badger to look all she wanted, just be careful.
I wasn't going to buy a bunch of broken antique glasswork.
I stood in line, keeping myself safely away from anything breakable.

We made it out of the shop without breaking anything, and back home at noon.

Badger and I quickly had a snack for her, and breakfast for me.
With my morning medicine, I have to wait an hour to eat, and we were on the road by then.
I'd picked up a package of apple cinnamon muffins in the bakery.
They were as dry as the desert, yet still tasty.

She and I watched a little TV, and then she headed out to the carport.
She sat out there trying to sand decades worth of paint off of the stool.
She thinks it's homemade.
I believe it’s professionally handmade, likely from the 60s or 70s.

Heron came back from his girlfriend’s long enough to load his trailer onto the truck, say see you tomorrow, and head back up there.
Cowboy helped Heron with the trailer, then came inside and fell asleep.

Since I was trying to be quiet and didn't feel like watching TV or reading, I sat at the computer going through old blog posts.
I'm still finding glitches that weren't there to start with, and it's aggravating.
I started blogging in 2002.
Do you know how many posts I have to go through looking for problems? 4,663 of them.
That's a lot of posts to go through to find missing lines, extra spaces, and Blogger deciding to duplicate entire paragraphs just because it feels like it.

We woke Cowboy up at 2 pm to eat dinner, and then he headed out to take care of the chickens.

Badger took Duffy and headed back to the carport.
Sanding that stool is slow going.
The grey top coat is hard to remove.

Once she gets that layer off, she said she's found orange, yellow, green, and red, and those are really easy to remove.
The green is that avocado green that my mom’s fridge was.



Sometime around 5 p.m. I heard a big boom of thunder, so I went out and told Badger to head to the house.
By the time we got inside, the sky just opened up and the rain poured down in buckets.
I had puddles standing in my yard.

Surprisingly, Cowboy was not napping.
He said he couldn't get back to sleep.
This schedule is just messing up his sleep cycle more than the last shift he was on.

Badger loves to take pictures in the rain, so we headed down to the wooded field.
There was a bunny family out chomping on grass in the rain.
I'm not sure if Badger got a picture or not, though.

We came back inside, and I had to change clothes because I was soaked to the skin.

Badger disappeared into her room.

Time for Cowboy to head to work finally rolled around.
Some days it seems to take forever for it to be time for him to go to work.

At least the rain had stopped by the time he went to work.

After that, the rest of the day slowed to a crawl.

Badger had one of her migraines, along with a nose so stuffed up she could barely breathe.
She went in, took a very long shower, and then lay on the couch the rest of the evening.
We had the TV on low, just to fill the silence of this old house, and she rested.

I kept working on the blog.
I swear if I find one more major glitch, I think I might cry.
Right now, the old posts I’m working through are sitting in the draft folder until I can get to them.

Right before 10 p.m. Badger had to take the dogs out to potty, and the sky was this pretty shade of reddish pink.
So she ran in to get her camera while I quickly snapped a picture with my phone camera.
That was a nice way to end the day.



After that, she came inside and was sound asleep before we turned around twice.

It's getting close to midnight, but I wanted to try to get a few more posts reviewed before bed.

I think I'm heading that way soon, though.
I'll be seeing words floating around in my sleep.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

You got some really nice photos. The stool is a good find for Badger, just what she was looking for. We are so hot and humid and also dry. We have no rain forecast for the foreseeable future. There was a time I would have stayed up till midnight but not anymore. This old body goes to bed by ten.

Jeanette said...

Looks like a good stool for $5. Pretty sky!

Jane said...

Jeanette: The stool was a good find. It’s sturdy. The sunset really was something that evening.

Jane said...

Sandra: Thanks, I’m just lucky I had my phone with me. That sunset was amazing. My daughter really lucked out finding that stool— the new one she had her eye on was expensive. I hope it cools down and you get some rain soon. We’ve been cooler and very rainy lately, but they say we’re heading back into a more typical July pattern. I understand about early bedtimes; I used to be that way too, but now I’m either waiting for my son to get in from work or for my husband to call me on his break, which is between 11 p.m. and midnight.